A William Gley of Glasgow got a charter of a toft in Glasgow from Raan Corbet, master of the Templars in Scotland (<em>Glas. Reg.</em>, no. 41; 1175×, prob. × 1199). The grantor of this charter, perhaps a descendant, was probably rather the William Gley who witnessed a charter of Robert of Lanark, subdean of Glasgow, on 23 May 1270 (<em>Glas. Reg.</em>, no. 220). William Gley ‘then grieve’ witnessed a charter of Robert of Miningsby of land in Glasgow between 1245 and 11 June 1268 (<em>Glas. Reg.</em>, no. 236). This grant is probably the land in Glasgow mentioned in a papal confirmation of 23 May 1273 (_Newb. Reg._, no. 224).