Earl Saer's charter (Inchaffray Chrs., App., no. 4a) was made after the death of his son Robert in 1217 and before his departure on crusade in spring 1219. Furthermore, Saer's donation and this royal confirmation were both issued after the return of William, bishop of St Andrews, from Rome. It is noteworthy that Everard of Trumpington, a prominent tenant of Saer de Quincy, witnesses this charter. The most likely scenario is that Saer's donation was written at or Brackley or elsewhere in the south of England as Bishop William returned circa Dec. 1217, that Everard accompanied the bishop on his return journey to obtain this confirmation and presumably to deal with Scottish business while Saer was preparing for crusade; thus the most likely date would be 15 Oct. 1218.