Roger de Quincy, earl of Winchester, constable of Scotland, with the assent of his wife Helena, has granted and established by his present charter, as much as pertains to him, to St Andrews Priory of Northampton, all lands and renders which they have from the gifts of his ancestors, namely the gift of Alan son of Roland of three marks from the rents of Redpath (BWK), and 20s. from the rents of Glengelt (BWK), and a half mark from the rents of ‘Grombelau’ (?BWK), half on Martinmas, and half at Pentecost. From the gift of Helen de Moreville, one ploughgate of land from his demesne in Lauderdale, in the villa called Newbigging (ROX) with tofts and crofts which belonged to Liulf and Gledewis, and with common pasture pertaining to that land, and with all liberties and easements. From the gift of Thomas son of Roland earl of Atholl, renders of two marks in the villa called Nova Terra in Tweeddale (Harehope, PEB), from the land which belonged to Richard de Moreville. He wills and grants and instructs that the aforesaid monks shall possess these lands and renders with all their pertinents in perpetuity, free and quit from all exaction and custom, as fully contained in the charters of the aforesaid donors, which Earl Roger inspected at Halse (Northants.).
February 1235 X 5 June 1250
Feb/1235 × 2/Nov/1243
Accession of Roger de Quincy to earldom of Winchester × date by which Countess Helen was dead. For possible date, see notes to Stringer, ‘Early Lords of Lauderdale’, p. 68.