Roger de Quincy, earl of Winchester, constable of Scotland, notifies that the prior and brothers of Brackley hospital made a charter to him for the support of three chaplains in that hospital and of the exchange for 40s. annually in renders that Roger of St Andrews gave them in Collessie (Fife), and for the support and the exchange, the earl has granted and given the aforesaid hospital his whole demesne of Gask (PER) in arable land and with pasture and meadow lying on the west side of the chapel of St Findoc towards the mill of Gask, and with reasonable necessities for fuel and construction from his forest of Gask. Moreover, the hospital has restored to him the charter that they had of 8s. annual render from Hangingshaw in Heriot (MLO) for the wax lamp in front of the altar of the BVM in the hospital’s chapel. Moreover, restores to him their part of the chirograph made over the demesne of Gask, which he will have given in pure and perpetual alms to the support of the three chaplains, on the condition that they should have restored for the said demesne five marks for the priest for as long as he will have presented the aforesaid priests to them, that is, when he presents one, they should give back ten marks, when two then five marks, when three then no marks.
15 February 1242
Not 13 Feb. as in Simpson. The charter was dated on the morrow of St Valentine’s Day, 1242