Saer de Quincy, earl of Winchester, by the wish and assent of his son and heir Roger, and for the souls of his father Robert de Quincy, his mother Orabilis and others, has given, granted, and by his charter established, to St Andrews Priory in pure and perpetual alms, three marks from his mill of Leuchars (FIF) from the hand of his miller, annually, half at Pentecost and half at Martinmas. Earl Saher has conferred and specially assigned the aforesaid marks as follows: two marks to the fabric of the church and to the lighting, and the third mark as a pittance on the day of the anniversary (of the deaths of ) of his aforementioned predecessors. However, whoever should hold the aforesaid mill at ferme from the earl or his heirs, or in some other form from him and his heirs, or of his steward, he may have the whole care of the same mill in future times, so long as he pays the render of three marks at the statutory terminals faithfully and without any delay. If it happens that the aforesaid mill should be taken into his hands, the earl will respond to the canons for the aforesaid three marks fully on the two terminals, or his steward, or someone else who will have the whole care of his manor of Leuchars for him. If any of his heirs or successors presume to act contrary to this, he may incur the malediction of Almighty God.
1217 X Spring 1219
Death of Saer’s son Robert in 1217 and Roger as heir × Saer’s departure on crusade