Pope Alexander III writes to Amfrid, abbot of Newbattle, and the brethren there, taking the monastery into his protection; all the possessions and goods which they have or may acquire by papal permission, by the liberality of kings or the gifts of the faithful, may remain with the abbot and his successors, including – from the gift of King David of the Scots – the place called ‘Rughalegh’ in which the abbey is situated, and Newbattle (MLO), with the neighbouring granges and their appendices, the grange of Moorfoot (MLO) and the salt-pan which is in ‘Blancheland’ with all its pertinents, as contained in the king’s script, common easement of the forest, pannage, bark and timber for building, from the gift of Malcolm, king of Scots, the land of Gocelin and the land of Robert the ironsmith, the grange of Drumpellier (LAN) in Clydesdale, and one toft in Edinburgh next to the southern gate, as were donated and established by the king’s script; from the gift of Bishop Herbert and the chapter of Glasgow the land of Carmyle (LAN), as divided and established in his charter, from the gift of Robert, son of Geoffrey, the grange of Bearford (ELO) and the grange of Peffer (ELO) with pertinents, which pertain to a certain fief granted by Countess Ada, from the gift of Abbot Geoffrey [of Dunfermline] one toft in Musselburgh, from the gift of Robert, son of G[uy], one peatary, and the land which Philip de Vermelles gave with common pasture. The abbey is exempt from tithes on new lands brought under cultivation by them or at their expense. They are also exempt from tithes on the offspring of their animals. None of the brothers, after making their profession, shall be permitted to depart the cloister without the permission of the abbot and all the congregation, no one may intend to depart without the surety of common letters; he permits the right to celebrate divine office privately and quietly during a general interdict and prohibits him to take any man who presumes to commit rape or violent crimes within the circuit of the houses of their granges and the church.
circa 9 June 1162 X circa 8 April 1166
Attestation of Henry, cardinal-priest of SS Nereo e Achilleo