Pope Urban III writes to the bishop, the dean and the chapter of Glasgow, recalling that when King David of the Scots, as a catholic prince and an expander of the Christian faith, constructed the burgh of Renfrew (RNF) on his own land, its church was collated by the grant the same king to the church of Glasgow. John, who was then bishop of Glasgow, made that same church of Renfrew into a prebend of his church. This episcopal deed was strengthened by the pontiff and the church of Glasgow held it in peace. But because the church of Paisley (LAN), within whose parish the aforementioned church was constructed, was granted to monks by the noble man Walter, son of Alan, lest in the future that grant be prejudicial to the addressees or to the church of Glasgow, Urban establishes their possession of the church of Renfrew.
2 June 1186 X 2 July 1187
‘6 non. June’, though impossible, perhaps read ‘vi non. July’ (2 July) or ‘iv non. June (2 June), or read ‘iii’ for ‘vi’ (3 June), pontificate of Urban III, prob. 1186 based on itinerary (see _Scot. Pont._, no. 132)