Dervorguilla, daughter of Alan of Galloway, in her lawful widowhood, has given, granted, and established by his present charter, to Sweetheart Abbey and the monks there of the Cistercian order from Dundrennan Abbey, to the construction of the abbey, in honour of God and the BVM, out of respect for charity, and for the souls of all the kings of Scotland, and for the welfare of her lord Alexander [III], illustrious king of Scotland, and all his predecessors and successors, and for the welfare of the souls of Earl Henry and Earl David and Earl John, and for the souls of all their ancestors and successors, and for the souls of Fergus of Galloway, Uhtred his son, and Roland, her grandfather, and Helen, his wife, and Alan, their son, her father, and Margaret her mother, and for the souls of all their ancestors and successors, and for the soul of John de Balliol, her lord and late spouse, and for the soul of Hugh their son, and for the soul of Cecilia her daughter, and for her own welfare, and that of all her ancestors and successors, and for the souls of all faithful Christians, in free, pure and perpetual alms, all her land of ‘Louquindelow’ (Loch Kindar alias New Abbey, KCB) and of Kirkpatrick-Durham (DMF), by stated bounds, in free, pure and perpetual alms, with all their pertinents, and in right bounds, in churches and advowsons of churches, and chapels, in sand, moorings, and shipwrecks, and in all other pertinents and liberties, free and quit of all customs and aids, assessments, occasional taxes, pleas and plaints and of ‘sorthen’ and of the superdictus of sergeants, tallages, scutages, and of all other services and secular exactions, just as the abbeys of Dundrennan and Glenluce were given and founded by her ancestors.
2 April 1273
4 non. April, 1273
Source for Data Entry
RRS, vi, no. 235
RRS, vi, no. 235
EUL, Laing Charters, box 65, no. 2531
Contained in an inspection of King David II dated 5 May 1360. Oram, Lordship of Galloway, 207. Note that the abbot of Dundrennan and Eustace [de Balliol] of Tours held neighbouring lands in the holding of Kirkpatrick. On the Priory of St Mary’s Isle, see R.C. Reid, ‘The Priory of St Mary’s Isle’, TDGAS, 3rd ser., vol. 36 (1957-58), 9-26.