Pope Innocent [IV?] writes to the abbot and convent of Arbroath, noting their petition that the bishop of Moray, with the consent of his chapter, had assessed the [vicarages of] the churches of Inverness (INV) and Aberchirder (Marnoch, BNF), of which they have right of patronage and which they retain by apostolic authority for their own uses, following what is contained in the letters of the bishop; the pope thus establishes this.
This document apparently refers to the foundation of the vicarages of Inverness and Aberchirder by Simon de Gunby, bishop of Moray, in a charter of 1248 (Moray Reg., no. 216). The place of dating, Lyon, as given in Moray Registrum, presents a difficulty, for a dating at Lyon points to Innocent IV, who spent a lengthy sojourn there; but that pope was at the Lateran on this date in his first pontifical year, 1244; and that date would be too early in any case, in light of Bishop Simon’s charter; so we must therefore assume a copying error (whether by the scribe or the editor), or that the document is spurious. The date given in Moray Reg. (p. xiv) of 1277 is wrong on all counts, there not having been a Pope Innocent in 1277. There was, though, a Pope Innocent V who ruled for a few months in 1276.