People of Medieval Scotland
1093 - 1371

Document 2/131/11 (St A. Lib., 53-6)

Pope Alexander III writes to Walter, prior of St Andrews, and, following the example of Popes Lucius, Eugene and Adrian, takes the church into his protection; all the possessions and goods which they have or may acquire by papal permission, by the liberality of kings or the gifts of the faithful, may remain with the prior and his successors, including the church of Linlithgow (WLO) with the lands and houses within and outwith the burgh; the teinds, rents, chapels and other things and customs pertaining to the church, the teinds of the mill of Linlithgow, the church of Longforgan (PER) with one toft, the teinds and customs of the same church from the whole shire of Longforgan, one [net in the] water in Berwick with the toft that is next to the church and another toft in the same villa next to the Tweed, one toft in Haddington, one toft in Clackmannan; the wood of Clackmannan and as many of their men are needed; free passage for crossing the sea for the canons and their men; the teinds of the king’s leather of Fife; one net in the water of Perth with the king’s own nets; 1 mark of the king’s ferme of Perth at Easter for the lighting of the church; 3 marks yearly from the king’s cain of ships at Perth for the canons’ vestments; freedom to elect their prior; the right to hold a court for pleas and disputes; from the gift of King Malcolm, half a ploughgate of land [belonging] to the church of Longforgan; one net in the water of Perth with the king’s own nets; one toft in Perth with a stall; one ploughgate of land called ‘Melchrether’ by its right marches; from the gift of Robert, bishop of St Andrews, the hospital of St Andrews in regards to the maintenance of guests and pilgrims, with lands, possessions and rents pertaining to it; the lands of East Balrymonth (FIF), Stravithie (FIF), Cassindonald (FIF), Drumcarro (FIF), Ladeddie (FIF), Strathkinness (FIF) and the other Strathkinness, for the substitution of Kininnis (Carngour, FIF) and Lambieletham (FIF) which the céli De hold, ‘Ballhucca’ (prob. Claremont, FIF), Rummond (FIF), Pitoutie (FIF), Balgove (FIF), with a saltpan, ‘Kinestare’, ‘Kinnamone’, ‘Drumsach’, Baldinnie (FIF), ‘Eglesnamin’, Balone (FIF), Scooniehill (FIF), Kinninmonth, with all the shire, and one toft in Kilrymont (FIF), three tofts in the burgh of St Andrews, the mills of Nydie (FIF), Kilrymont and Peekie (FIF); from the donation of Arnold, bishop, the church of Dairsie with lands, teinds and oblations, and one ploughgate of land in the same villa; the chapel of Fowlis Easter (ANG) with all its pertinents, the teinds of all pleas of the bishop, whether secular or ecclesiastical, and all his reliefs, the church of Holy Trinity of Kilrymont, all oblations of the altar which they serve; from the donation of Richard, bishop, the abbey of the island of Loch Leven; from the donation of Matthew, archdeacon of St Andrews, Rossie (PER) by its right marches and the church of the same villa; from the donation of the said Bishop Arnold, the rents of those who owe them to St Andrews; and finally, the right to choose bishops and priors. The pope directs that no man is permitted to disturb the church or carry away its possessions; saving to the bishop canonical justice and reverence and the authority of the apostolic see. Should any secular person attempt to go against this, after three warnings if he should not make amends, he may lose his honour and be liable to divine justice, and subject himself to retribution.
Firm date
31 December 1163
Dating Notes
2 kal. Jan., 1163, pontifical year 5
Place date (modern)
Place date (document)
Related Place
Source for Data Entry
St Andrews Liber, 53-6
Trad. ID
St A. Lib., 53-6
Calendar number
Charter type
Papal privilege: general confirmation

Total number of associated factoids: 26

Listing items 1 to 1, page 1 of 1

  • ‹‹ First
  • ‹ Previous
  • 1
  • Next ›
  • Last ››

Date Short Summary Holder Lord
31 Dec. 1163 Kininnis (Carngour, FIF) and Lambieletham (FIF) céli Dé of St Andrews