An agreement was formed Melrose Abbey and Kelso Abbey regarding the marches of the lands of Bowden (ROX), Eildon (ROX) and Darnick (ROX), before J[ohn], cardinal priest of St Stephen in Celio Monte, delegate of Pope Innocent III, official legate in Scotland, with the assent and spontaneous wish of W[illiam], king of Scotland, regarding the land disputed, belonging to the monks of Kelso and which ought to belong to them justly by its marches, that is, through the forest which was divided between the houses by King David, his grandfather, and through the top of the middle mountain on which summit ditches are made by the king’s wish; the abbot and convent of Kelso conferred to the church of Melrose two oxgangs of land and two acres of meadow and pasture for 400 sheep which they had in Primside (ROX). This Settlement was confirmed by the papal delegates R[ichard], bishop of Dunkeld, R[alph], bishop of Brechin, J[onathan], bishop of Dunblane. Moreover, at the instance of the king and other provident men, so that this perpetual and mutual bond of love and peace between the churches is observed undeniably, by the voluntary and free wish of both parties, it was agreed between them that the house of Melrose, by the seal of the convent and the chapter of Rievaulx, renounce all rights which they claimed to have or were known to have at one time; neither the abbot or his successors may raise questions against Kelso concerning the boundaries of these lands at any time. They distinguished publicly the lands and marches by certain stated boundaries. Regarding the marches of lands between Mow (ROX) and Clifton (ROX), that land which lies between the furrows, by the wish of both parties, shall be common pasture between them, in addition to the lands granted above.
9 May 1204
1204, Sunday after _Clausum Pascha_; as given in _Melrose Lib._, no. 146 (letter of King William)