An agreement is formed between the monks of Melrose and the canons of Dryburgh whereby it is agreed that as the monks of Melrose have power or commonalty in pastures or lands of the canons of Dryburgh, they can accept or acquire nothing without their consent in that place. The boundaries between both are settled thus, the canons of Dryburgh shall have from the western part of the Tweed and Leader [rivers], whether in lands or pastures; further along the boundaries, nothing was decided entirely between both orders; the monks of Melrose shall keep [the lands] from the eastern part of the same rivers, by the same condition. Further on from the southern grange of the canons, Kedslie (ROX) will be bound by the road that is south of Glouden (Galadean?, ROX), the very one that extends to the Leader, and from the other part, to the road that leads to Lauder. The monks of Melrose shall hold, from the southern part [of the grange] of the canons of Dryburgh, from the north; from the west of the same grange, it will be similarly bound by the road that leads to Lauder up to the wood that separates the plain called Colmslie (ROX) from another plain [which belongs] to the brothers of Dryburgh. Colmslie, with the forest, shall pass to the brothers from Melrose. Further on, from the east part of the road up to the plain the canons of Dryburgh shall hold, from the west part the monks of Melrose [shall hold]. From the wood that divides the plain, just as the wood stretches towards the boundaries of Wedale (Stow, MLO), from the northern part the canons of Dryburgh shall hold and from the southern part, the monks of Melrose. This agreement and division of boundaries between both houses was made by the consent and assent of both chapters, and presented and testified to Sir Herbert, bishop of Glasgow.
10 November 1150 X 20 September 1164
Foundation of Dryburgh Abbey × death of Bishop Herbert of Glasgow