An agreement is formed between the canons of Jedburgh and the canons of Dryburgh whereby the canons of Jedburgh shall have the meadow of the church of (Long)Newton (ROX) free from all complaint of the canons of Dryburgh. It was agreed by the canons of Jedburgh that the canons of Dryburgh may hold the church of Lessudden (ROX), free from all complaint. Of the clerics who hold the churches, that is, Master John and William ‘de Causi’, he shall have the tenure for his life, thus, that they shall pay annually to the canons of Jedburgh from the church of (Long)Newton (ROX) 1 mark, and to the canons of Dryburgh from the church of Lessudden, 2 marks. When one of them shall die in the life of the other, he shall hold half of the church of Lessudden of Dryburgh and half of the church of (Long)Newton of Jedburgh. The cleric who outlives the other shall hold the halves for the rest of his life, rendering annually to Dryburgh for Lessudden, 1 mark, and to Jedburgh for (Long)Newton a half mark. When he himself dies, Jedburgh shall hold all of (Long)Newton and Dryburgh all of Lessudden. When this happens, then at first the canons of Dryburgh shall begin to pay 2 marks annually to the canons of Jedburgh, one at Martinmas and one at Pentecost.
25 March 1177 X 24 March 1178
As dated from the agreement in Dryburgh Lib., no. 63 (1177)