Richard son of Richard called of Lincoln has released at ferme to Kelso Abbey twenty acres of arable land and pasture in the territory of Mow (ROX) at the place which is called Mowhope, namely the twenty acres which Jedburgh Abbey held of him at ferme, and sufficient pasture for 600 sheep and four cows, wherever the monks may wish to graze them in his land of Mow, except in the land he holds in demesne, for ten years starting at Pentecost in 1255 and concluding at the feast of Saint Martin. The land, with the pasture, is to be held with all its pertinents, freedoms and facilities, without any secular service, suit of court, royal aid, custom, exaction, and demand. In return for the land and pasture, Kelso gave into Richard’s hands ten marks. Richard states that it may come to pass that the abbot or monks may be hindered by the forcefulness of the lord King, the lords of the feu [of Mow] or any other person, they may hold onto the land and pasture after the ten years have elapsed until restitution has been fully made for their loses by the oversight of good men. For security, Richard managed to acquire Sir Alexander of Chatton, then constable of Roxburgh, Sir Robert Ridel, the knight, John of Grubbit, William of Heaviside to each pledge in the hands of the lord Abbot of Kelso that the terms of the donation will be abided by.