John son of Eilif of Elliston (ROX) has given, granted and by his charter established, to Dryburgh Abbey, in free pure and perpetual alms, 10 acres of land from his demesne in the villa of Elliston, that is, two acres in the toft and croft near the river by his garden from the east, and 5 acres in ‘Rokflat’ near the road towards Bowden from the west, and three acres in ‘Grenerig’, free from service, custom and secular exaction.
1220 X 11 April 1249
John son of ‘Iliue’ of ‘Iliuestun’ granted a charter to Master Adam of ‘Baggat’ of an oxgang with an acre of meadow in Elliston (_Melr. Lib._, no. 260). Another grant by John of land to Melrose Abbey was confirmed by his daughters Avicia and Agnes, wife of Laurence, the second on 11 Apr. 1249. (_Ibid._, nos. 261, 262). Master Adam fl. 1220s and 30s and was dead by 1243 (Watt, _Graduates_, 22).