Simon of Kinnear, with the consent of his wife, Amy, for the souls of the illustrious King William and Queen Ermengarde and Alexander their son, and others, has given, granted, and by this his present charter established, to Balmerino Abbey in Fife, in pure, quit and perpetual alms, all the half land in the feu of Kinnear (FIF) by its right bounds, stated herein. He has also given them the land lying next to this land on the east side of Kinnear in pure and perpetual alms by its right bounds, stated herein. These are to be held free and quit from all aids, expedition and tallage, and other exactions, customs and secular services, with common pasture pertaining to that land, except six acres of land belonging to the hospital (of St John’s) and two acres of meadow belonging to the lord on the west side. Simon and Amy submit themselves to the jurisdiction of the lord bishop of St Andrews and his officials.
28 June 1243 X 21 September 1260
Papal confirmation of Innocent IV (_Balm. Lib._, no. 58) × royal confirmation (1/8/30)
Source for Data Entry
Balmerino Liber, no. 13
Balm. Lib., no. 13
G. Markús, ‘Reading the place-names of a monastic landscape: Balmerino Abbey’, in Cîteaux: commentarii cistercienses, t. 59 (2008), 153-6