Ralph of Echline, burgess of Haddington, for the salvation of his soul and all his ancestors and successors, has given, granted and by this his present charter established to Melrose Abbey, in pure and perpetual alms, all right and claim which he had or was able to had in the land and buildings which formerly belonged to Nicholas the weaver in the villa of Berwick in the subdivision of Briggate (BWK) which lies between the land and building of the monks and the land and building which formerly belonged to Arnold Hannan which at the time of this, his donation, belonged to David the carver, which Ralph bought from Richard the barber and Annabella, his wife, daughter of the late Nicholas the weaver. In the full court of Berwick, they quitclaimed it to Ralph and his assignees and renounced the rights to the same for them and their heirs as contained in their charter. Ralph handed the charter over to the monks to be possessed in perpetuity as his assigns.
21 September 1251 X
mid-thirteenth to late century, certainly 21.9.1251 x