Robert de Quincy has given and by this his charter established to Newbattle Abbey the grange of Preston of the district (tellure) of Tranent (ELO), that is, the land and grange by named bounds, as the burn of ‘Wytterigh’ descends to the east in to the sea, until the bounds of the land of the abbot of Dunfermline of Inveresk, as he perambulated between his demesne and ‘Meduflat’ in the presence of good men, as attested by the dikes (fossas) he had constructed. He has given them and established a grange, in perpetual alms, free and quit from all custom, service and secular exaction, that is, from pleas, mills, forfeitures and aids. He also grants and establishes common pasture of his land of Tranent and free exit to that pasture, namely for 700 sheep and an ox. He also grants and establishes in perpetual alms, six acres of meadow in his meadow of Tranent and 20 cartloads of peat.
6 January 1179 X 13 April 1189
Blessing of Arnold as abbot of Melrose × his election to abbacy of Rievaulx; also by royal confirmation (_RRS_, ii, no. 241).