William de Vaux in the presence of Brother James, papal penitentiary, then papal legate in Scotland, has given, granted and by his charter established, to the church of St Nicholas and the canons of Dryburgh on the island of Elbottle (ELO), in free, pure and perpetual alms, the right of patronage of the church of Gullane (ELO), saving to the nuns of South Berwick in the same parish, any rights which they have, according to the script between them, for the welfare of the soul of his lord, King William, and others.
circa 16 April 1221
in presence of Brother James, papal legate, who confirmed this charter (_Dryb. Lib._, no. 26)