John de Vaux has granted, and by his charter established, to the canons of Dryburgh on Elbottle island, the same island which his father gave them; in addition, he has granted and established to them 20 acres and a half in the territory of Elbottle, as perambulated, with ditches and 100 feet of land from ‘Stodfald’ with common pasture and easements of Elbottle and Dirleton; together with the land of Reginald Taylor with his toft and croft in the villa of Dirleton, in pure and perpetual alms, free from secular exaction, for a render of one stone of wax at Pentecost, with freedom from multure, for the welfare of his lord, King Alexander, and others.
6 December 1214 X 1253
Succession of Alexander II × _Dryb. Lib._, no. 288