William Gley, burgess of Glasgow, has given, granted, and by this his present charter established, to Newbattle Abbey his land in the villa of Glasgow (LAN) with houses, which lies between his land which he bought from the executors of [the estate of] John son of Alice, and the land of William ‘Scloyder’, in pure and perpetual alms, for an annual render to the lord bishop of Glasgow of 10d. for all services, which is faithfully fulfilled by these sureties: Nicholas son of German, John ‘Gerland’ and Geoffrey the Dyer, burgesses of Glasgow.
Mid-late thirteenth century; prob. × 23 May 1273
A William Gley of Glasgow got a charter of a toft in Glasgow from Raan Corbet, master of the Templars in Scotland (_Glas. Reg._, no. 41; 1175×, prob. × 1199). The grantor of this charter, perhaps a descendant, was probably rather the William Gley who witnessed a charter of Robert of Lanark, subdean of Glasgow, on 23 May 1270 (_Glas. Reg._, no. 220). William Gley ‘then grieve’ witnessed a charter of Robert of Miningsby of land in Glasgow between 1245 and 11 June 1268 (_Glas. Reg._, no. 236). This grant is probably the land in Glasgow mentioned in a papal confirmation of 23 May 1273 (_Newb. Reg._, no. 224).