Walter, son of Alan, steward of the king of Scotland, has given, granted, and by this his charter established to Dunfermline Abbey, his land of Dunfermline (FIF), that is, 20 acres and one toft, for the souls of King Malcolm (IV) and others, in perpetual alms, holding freely and quietly, saving his hostelage.
9 December 1165 X 23 September 1168
This donation was confirmed in King William’s confirmation charter (_RRS_ ii, no. 30, p. 142), dating to 9 Dec. 1165 × 23 Sept. 1168 (prob. 1166), as such: ‘_Et .xx. acras terre. Et unum toftum in Dunfermelin. quas Walterus dapifer meus concessione mea dedit eidem ecclesie ; die sepulture Regis predicti._’
Source for Data Entry
Dunfermline Registrum, no. 161
Dunf. Reg., no. 161
King William’s confirmation charter (1/6/25) states that Walter’s gift took place at King Malcolm’s funeral in Dunfermline Abbey.