Peter of Mordington, knight, son of the late Sir William of Mordington, has given, granted and by this his present charter established, to Simon of Badby, for his homage and service, one toft and croft in the villa of Lamberton (BWK), and two oxgangs of land in the territory of the same villa, namely that toft and croft with the aforesaid two oxgangs of land which Baldwin Tod and ‘Syrith’ called ‘Cuter’, sister of the late Solomon Frebern, held in their time, free from all works, service, custom, aid, exaction and demand, with common pasture and all common easements and liberties of the villa of Lamberton, rendering annually one pound of cumin or 2d on Pentecost, saving [the right of] wardship, and making forinsec service to the lord king, and to the house of Coldingham.
circa 1262 X circa 1273
Source for Data Entry
William Maddan, ‘John de Raynton, first of Lamberton’, History of the Berwickshire Naturalists’ Club, XVI, Pt. III (1898), 317-36, Appendix, no. 5 (with facsimile)
Maddan, 1898, no. 5
MS (copy): NAS, RH 1/2/59
William of Badby was constable of Berwick on 6 Mar. 1262 (3/83/19) and 7 Jan. 1273 (4/8/30). William of Badby was himself steward of Coldingham on 11 Oct 1278 (3/201/2) and 12 Mar. 1280 (3/122/1). Sir Henry of Prenderguest had also been steward of Coldingham, at some point between 1263 and 1276 (3/105/1). A William of Roxburgh was also steward of Coldingham at some point between 1270 and 1289 (3/64/1).