Waleran, abbot of Kelso, and the convent of the same place, by their unanimous consent, have given, granted and by this their present charter established to William, called ‘Masceon’, their land in the burgh of Berwick (BWK) on Waltheofgate Street, which formerly belonged to Elias Palmer, lying between the land of the late Henry of Whitby to the west and the land of the late John of ‘Bonbury’ to the east, with its correct bounds and pertinents. The land is to be held and had by William and his heirs from the monks and their successors, in feu and heritage; however, the monks reserve the rights of whomever may have them. William and his heirs are to render to the monks and their successors for the first year of the agreement three shillings of sterling by equal halves at the feasts of Saint Cuthbert in Lent and in Autumn, and in the years which follow, they are to increase [the render by] twelve pennies until it is brought back up to the land's original ferme, viz. sixteen shillings of sterling. Thereafter, they will annually render to William and his heirs for the aforesaid land sixteen shillings at the aforesaid times by equal halves, for all the service of the land emerging as a result of the laws and customs of the burgh.
4 September 1306 X 20 March 1307
first payment to be made 20 March 1307; thereafter 4 September and 20 March