In the church of Saint James of Roxburgh, in the year 1295, in the presence of the rector of the church of Yetholm, the commissary of the lord abbot of Dunfermline, the sole judge or executor of the apostolic see, an agreement was made between the abbot and convent of the monastery of Kelso, the plaintiff, and William, called Folcard, the defendant, and the monks were represented by brother John of Roxburgh, a monk and their procurator. In the name of his lords and of his monastery, the procurator of the monks asked for the tenement of Folkerton (in Lesmahagow, LAN) because he stated that it was wrongly alienated from the monastery, and William was holding and held the tenement on that day. He also asks that the right and ownership of the monks and monastery be restored, and that William be prosecuted by the commissary through this sentence. William denied the procurator’s accusations to be true. The commissary accepted an oath from the procurator which declared his version of the truth; however, William expressly refused to do so even though the judge frequently requested that he follow suit. Therefore, the judge, to proceed regularly, fixed a day on which William should appear and make an oath in the presence of the commissary or his commissaries, one or many, whoever may happen to be present in the church of Saint James on the Monday nearest after the feast of Saint Barnaby, the apostle, in the aforesaid year. Otherwise, the course and order of the law would be followed.