William of Lamberton, bishop of Saint Andrews, states that having recognized that the monastery of Holy Mary of Kelso situated in his diocese in the march of England and Scotland is demolished and afflicted by common war and lasting perversion, by the plundering of goods, and by fire and slaughter, he now returns the monks and novices of the same house who survived by begging in other religious places in the kingdom of Scotland, and were clothed in these places, to re-establish the monastery which he vehemently pities, and which prior to the war was engaged in numerous works of love, and additionally charity, and carried out and demonstrated hospitality to all of the poor in a key meeting place between each kingdom. And so that the bishop’s birthday may be gladly celebrated every year in the monastery, and so that the memory of his soul may be considered in one meeting every day at the high altar there, the bishop gives, grants and by the tenor of the present [charter] establishes to the monastery of Kelso and the monks there, their church of Greenlaw (BWK), for their use, with its chapels of Halliburton and Lambden, in free, pure and perpetual alms, with the lands, teinds, crops and all the offerings, as much major as minor, pertaining to and owing to pertain to the church and chapels, by right and custom, and they are to be converted for their use at retirement and withdraw of Nicholas, the current vicar of the church of Greenlaw. The abbot and convent of the monastery of Kelso will present to the bishop and his successors, as often as the vicarage may happen to be vacant, a vicar at the same church, who will hold the cure of souls of the parish of Greenlaw, and he will also answer to the bishop and his successors for the people of the cure. The vicar will receive 100 shillings of sterling every year for his portion from the abbot and convent, which will be derived from the fruits of the church, and which portion, by episcopal authority, the bishop values based on all the property of the church of Greenlaw and its chapels, including the teinds, crops, returns and offering, thus minor as major, which are to be completely and fully converted for the use of the monks, and the abbot and convent will provide to the chapels what is customary for them to be served. The bishop and his successors reserve their procurations and other rights, ordinary and extraordinary, and also additionally they reserve the rights of the archdeacon of Lothian, whoever he may be at the time, in the church and chapels.
7 January 1299 X 27 February 1321
7 Jan. 1299 × 1309 or 1308 × 27 Feb. 1321
predecessor of Abb. Elias of Holyrood in office × successor of an Abb.William of Dryburgh in office, or predecessor of another Abb. William of Dryburgh in office × successor of Abb. Elias of Holyrood