Malise (III), earl of Strathearn, states that when the vicarage of Strageath (PER) had become void through the death of Master Richard of Stirling, late vicar of the church by right and by deed, William, bishop of Dunblane, believing that it belonged to him by right to confer the vicarage, had, at the request of the earl, conferred it by deed on John of Legerwood, the earl’s chaplain. Thereupon, the religious of Inchaffray immediately raised the objection that by the bounty of former earls of Strathearn, the grants of the bishop of Dunblane, and the special confirmation of the chapter of Dunblane, they were the true patrons, and that the right of presentation to the vicarage belonged to them. And this they clearly showed in the presence of the [William], bishop of Dunblane, John, abbot of Cambuskenneth, Master Walter of Montrose, archdeacon of Dunblane, Master William of Stirling, canon of Dunblane Master Robert of Dundee, canon of Dunblane, Master Alpin, canon of Dunblane, Lord Nicholas, rector of Crieff, Alan of Kinbuck, Colin son of Gilleglas, Malcolm of Kinross, Monach son of Alpin, and many others by exhibiting the public instruments, sealed, of the earls, the bishops, the chapter, confirmations from the pope, and also by the evidence of a large number of persons worthy of credit. The bishop of Dunblane, after conference with the earl and the clergy of the cathedral, decreed and publically pronounced in favour of the claim of the monastery. And on the presentation of John of Legerwood by the monastery, he admitted him to the said vicarage and caused him to be put in corporal possession of the same.
Sunday 28 September 1287
the Sunday next before the feast of St. Michael the Archangel (29 Sept.) in the year 1287