Brother James, penitentiary of the lord pope and papal chaplain, receives into papal protection and strengthens by the present script, the portions and places in which the abbot and canons of Dryburgh serve the Lord, the granges, houses and lands next to them and the churches of Mertoun (BWK), Lessudden (ROX), Channelkirk (BWK), Saltoun (ELO) and Kilrenny (FIF), just as they had obtained them in previous times or in the time of his legation in Scotland and possess canonically. Wishing to provide compassion and peace in their poverty, he establishes also the church of Sorbie in Galloway and the church of Lanark (LAN) with all rights belonging to it, and the chapel of Pettinain (LAN) for their own uses; the agreement between them and the canons of Jedburgh concerning the church of Lessudden for good peace made and the composition between them and the monks of Melrose concerning the boundaries of their lands and their grange of Kedslie (ROX) and concerning certain others; the sentence by certain papal judges-delegate concerning the chapel of Cleghorn (LAN) pertaining to the mother church of Lanark; the agreement between them and William de Vaux, knight, for one part, and the monks of South Berwick for the other, concerning the church of Gullane (ELO) in his presence, made at the mediation of religious and discreet men.
23 April 1221
1221, pontifical year 5 of Honorius [III], 9 kal. May