Bernard son of Brian has given, granted and by this present charter established to Kelso Abbey ten acres of land in the territory of Hadden (ROX) on the western part of the villa where he assigned it to them, and in another part of the villa, land, by stated bounds which include land of the monks, just as he perambulated them in presence of many, in free and perpetual alms. He gave and granted this land to them for the salvation of his lord, King William, and for the salvation of him and his wife and his ancestors and successors.
9 December 1165 X 1178
accession of King William x _Kelso Liber_, ii, no. 388