John son of Eilif of Elliston (ROX), with the consent of his wife and daughters, has given to Blessed Mary and the house of Dryburgh one toft in the villa of Elliston (ROX) which belonged to Alan Dammeson, that is, 4 perches in length and the same in width, and two acres and a half perch, that is, the from the croft of Alan Dammeson, and one acre in Greenside next to ‘Hairestan’ in the east, in free, pure and perpetual alms, free from service and secular demand.
1220 X 11 April 1249
John son of ‘Iliue’ of ‘Iliuestun’ granted a charter to Master Adam of ‘Baggat’ of an oxgang with an acre of meadow in Elliston (_Melr. Lib._, no. 260). Another grant by John of land to Melrose Abbey was confirmed by his daughters Avicia and Agnes, wife of Laurence, the second on 11 Apr. 1249. (_Ibid._, nos. 261, 262). Master Adam fl. 1220s and 30s and was dead by 1243 (Watt, _Graduates_, 22).