Simon of Kinnear, for the souls of the illustrious King William and Queen Ermengarde, has given, granted and by this his present charter established to Balmerino Abbey in Fife in pure, quiet and perpetual alms, a certain land in the territory of Kedlock (FIF) called ‘Reginald’s land’, in which is contained a certain hill called Torr of Kedlock, by its right bounds, stated herein, with all liberties and easements, free and quit from aids, exactions, customs and secular services. The monks shall have in common pasture 200 ewes, and if the common pasture is not sufficient for so many, he will add to it from land in his demesne.
9 July 1238 X 31 August 1244
Adam as archdeacon × royal confirmation (_Balm. Lib._, no. 40).
Source for Data Entry
Balmerino Liber, no. 39
Balm. Lib., no. 39
Taylor, PNF, iv. G. Markús, ‘Reading the place-names of a monastic landscape: Balmerino Abbey’, in Cîteaux: commentarii cistercienses, t. 59 (2008), 146-9