Richard Lovel, lord of Hawick, has given, granted and by this his present charter established to St Andrews Priory two oxgangs of land between the bounds of the land of Adam of ‘Wammes’ and the land of ‘Wichiop’ (Whithope?) in exchange for two oxgangs of land in Branxholm (ROX) that Henry Lovel his father of pious memory conferred on the canons in perpetual alms, by stated bounds, in pure and perpetual alms, free from all secular service and exaction. If it so happens that the feuar or fermer of the aforesaid canons on the land is forfeited to Richard in the canons’ court within the feu of Hawick, they shall amend this according to what is just.
1173 × , perhaps 1190s
After grant of his father, Henry Lovel (_St And. Lib._, 261). Henry’s last royal attestation dates to 1173×77 (_RRS_ ii, no. 183).