Thomas of Selkirk, burgess of Berwick-upon-Tweed, gave, granted and by this his present charter established to Melrose Abbey his whole tenement above le Ness in the villa of Berwick-upon-Tweed (BWK) of which he bought the three portions in the west from Philip of Ryedale, and a fourth portion in the east from Adam of Selby. The tenement extends along the length of the Ness all the way into Ravennisden’ and in the width lies between the land of the late Walter of Barton, burgess of the villa, which Walter gave to Andrew Gross, along with his daughter, to the south, and the land which Henry the baker held from the house of God (de domo dei) to the north. The monks are to provide the service, owed and customary, to the king and castle of the villa. And they are to render annually to the house of God forty pennies of silver, and they are to render to the heirs of the sister of Adam of Selby, spouse of the late Godfrey of Cologne, nine shillings at the established times for all other services, property and demands. Thomas promises warrandice.
October 1309 X 10 September 1319
William of Lindsey appears as chamberlain in 1312 or 1313, and perhaps as early as October 1309. He demitted his office after 10 September 1319 (_RRS_, v, p. 206)