John de Mowbray, the knight, lord of Methven (PER), states that his predecessors, for the salvation of their own souls and the souls of their successors, gave, granted and by their charters specially established to the church of Dunblane the land of Exmagirdle (or Ecclesmagirdle) (PER) with its pertinents. He further narrates that the said land had been made over to Lindores by a friendly agreement between Abraham, former Bishop of Dunblane, and Guy, former abbot of Lindores, as to the church of St Andrews. He purposes, of his favour, to grant and confirm by his charter to Lindores this land which had been conferred on the church of Dunblane by his predecessors for the salvation of souls, and to grant that it should be free and quit of all aid, army service, and forinsec service. Wherefore, he wills and grants, for himself, his heirs and his successors, that the monks of Lindores should hold and possess the land of Exmagirdle with its pertinents in free, pure and perpetual alms, quit of all suit of court whatsoever, of exaction, citation, recognition, poinding, all army service, all kinds of aids and secular demands, all forinsec service, burden, and subjection, which might arise by any chance or from any cause. The burden of all such he takes on himself, his heirs and successors, and faithfully promises that neither he nor his heirs nor successors will in the future give any trouble or annoyance to the monks of Lindores, nor make any distraint by the seizure of goods upon the land of Exmagirdle, nor permit nor procure such to be made by others.
22 January 1301
on the feast of St Vincent the Martyr in the year of grace 1300