Henry of Graham son of Henry of Graham has given, granted, and by this his charter established in pure and perpetual alms to Newbattle Abbey the land of ‘Balnebuth’ as the burn falls into the Esk, which land his grandfather and father Peter and Henry of Graham gave and by their charters confirmed.
18 February 1175 X 17 August 1214
perhaps 20 June 1203×, prob. late
Earliest attestation of William Comyn wherein he was definitely earl of Buchan (_RRS_ ii, no. 522; 17 Aug., 1212×14). Note that William Comyn is not called justiciar, which may suggest a date earlier than ca. 1205, although this is merely a possibility. Note also that Adam son of Gilbert (son of Richer) was a tenant of William Comyn who held Blyth Bridge in PEB and married William’s sister (_Morton Reg._, ii, no. 5). This charter came after both _Newb. Reg._, nos. 7 & 8, and perhaps after the papal confirmation of Innocent III.
Source for Data Entry
Newbattle Registrum, no. 9
Newb. Reg., no. 9
Document type notes
That this charter is a renewal is clear from the use of the reference to his father’s charter, but the granting clause is the same as that of a grant charter.