Walter son of Alan, steward of the king of Scots, has given, granted and by this his charter has established, in pure and perpetual alms, to the hospital of Addeston and the infirm brothers residing there, for the salvation of his soul and for the salvation of all his ancestors and successors, one ploughgate of land and a half, namely a ploughgate of land in the villa of Addeston (BWK) and a half ploughgate of land which lady Emma of Ednam held with the common pasture and easements of the forest of Birkenside and the forest of Legerwood and with freedom to grind at his mill without multure, [free] from all terrestrial service, custom, exaction and demand.
1204 X 1241
probably early 13th century, certainly before _Melr. Lib._, no. 81
death of Alan Stewart x death of Walter Stewart; probable date derived from appearances of witnesses. Niall de Heriz appears 1180 x 1203 (_Kel. Lib._, no. 158, 177); Robert of Crawford appears 1210 × 1231 (_C. A. Chrs._, no. 22) and 1229 x 1232 (_Kel. Lib._, no. 181); etc.