David, bishop of Moray, by the unanimous consent, council and good will of the dean and chapter of Moray, has given, granted and by this his present charter established to William son of Adam son of Stephen, burgess of Elgin, all their land of Auchter Spynie (Sheriffmills, MOR) in exchange for the land of Whiteford (MOR), the land of Inverlochty (MOR)[and] the mill of Inverlochty, [and] for the land of 'le Miltoun' (poss. Miltonduff, MOR), which belonged to the late Andrew of Inverlochty, with all the rights which he had or was able to have in the aforesaid lands, and the mill, with all its pertinents and correct bounds. The bishop reserves for himself the site of the mill, which is called the mill of the sheriff of Elgin, on the River Lossie. William and his heirs are to annually render to the bishop and his successors, during their lives, for all service, exaction, custom and demand, one pound of pepper at the feast of Saint Giles, the abbot, and twelve men during the autumn for one day of good reaping. William and his heirs are also to provide the forinsec service to the king which pertains to the land, and they are to provide, by way of custom, the multure at the bishop’s mill of Malathy (Bishopmill, MOR) above the Lossie. After their death, the bishop wishes that the land, with all its pertinents, may revert to the right and ownership of the mensa of the bishop of Moray, to be possessed perpetually [by the bishops].
23 March 1309
on the twenty-third day of the month of March in the year of the lord 1309