Gift of King Edgar to the church of Durham, St Cuthbert, and Bishop William: Edgar son of Malcolm the king of the Scots, possessing the whole land of Lothian and the kingdom of Scotland by the gift of his lord William, king of the English, and by paternal inheritance, gives with the advice of his lord, King William, and of his sworn men, for the souls of his father and his mother, as well as of his brothers Duncan and Edward, and for the salvation of his body and soul, and for all his ancestors and successors, to Almighty God and to the church of Durham, and to Saint Cuthbert the glorious bishop, and to William the bishop, and to the monks serving God in the same church now and in perpetuity, the mansio of Berwick, and with it these mansiones, that is, Graden, Lennel, 'Dilsterhale', Birgham, Edrom, Chirnside, Hilton, Blackadder, Kimmerghame, Hutton, Renton, Paxton, Foulden, Mordington, Lamberton, the other Lamberton, Edrington, Fishwick, Horford and Upsettlington (all BWK); and the mansio of Coldingham (BWK), and the following _mansiones_ (all BWK): Old Cambus, Lumsdaine, Reston, Swinewood, 'Farndun' (Ferney?), Ayton, the other Ayton, Prenderguest, 'Crammesmudr' (Burnmouth?) and Edington. These _mansiones_ he gives to God and to Saint Cuthbert with all the lands and woods and waters and tolls and wrecked ships and with all the customs which belong to them and which his father had in them, quit and firm, freely disposed according to the will of the bishop of Durham.
29 August 1095
4 kals. Sept. In the year that King William son of the great King William made a new castle before Bamburgh over Robert, earl of the Northumbrians. See also Duncan, 'Yes, the earliest Scottish charters', 25-6.